Comfiest Emery Ever

I’ve been ill recently (flu, ear infections, tonsillitis… ) so I haven’t been sewing much. I’m feeling a bit better now though and decided that I wanted to sew something unknown and fun to get me back in the game. Sooo, I dug out my copy of Butterick Retro B5605.  I had big plans and couldn’t wait to sew this vintage beauty. However, I opened the pattern and was confronted with this mess!

I must have attempted to sew this a couple of years ago when I was a complete novice and naively thought it acceptable to cut pattern pieces in the wrong size. Argh! No wonder I blocked it from my memory. There was just too much guesswork and fiddliness involved in saving this so it’s now in the bin and a new copy has been ordered. Sigh.

So, utterly frustrated with myself, I decided to sew something that I knew I couldn’t fail at (and of course just as fun): the Emery dress… obviously. I know. It’s slightly embarrassing that I’ve sewn so many of them (a couple of which I haven’t blogged about yet). It’s just so wearable and totally my style.

So here it is…

Untitled

It was so sunny today!

I bought the fabric from The Cloth Shop in Edinburgh. It’s a stretch cotton with a pretty floral detail. I bought 2.5 metres in the sale and it cost me about £25. I do love a floral print, but I really need more work-appropriate dresses and this is perfect for that.

Untitled

Hmmmm… in retrospect, I probably should have hoovered up the bits of thread and material before taking this pic.

I still find it quite difficult to work with stretchy fabrics and this one was even more difficult because it was so difficult to iron. I must remember to use a damp tea towel whenever I need to iron this!

Untitled
Despite this being a fairly quick project, I found it quite frustrating at times. The stretch resulted in it being a little bit bigger than I would have liked so I had to go back and tweak the darts in the back of the bodice. I also had to take a little off the shoulder seams, as always.

I decided to make the dress knee length so I could wear it without tights in the summer. Rather than gather the skirt or pleat it as per the instructions, I just pleated it myself in a fairly random fashion. Risky but I think it turned out well. I also opted for 3/4 sleeves.

Untitled

Not as sunny an hour later after a wee walk along the beach

So, this is another Emery success! I’m not even sorry. While I probably will sew something different next time, I plan to make another couple of Emery dresses using some of my recent fabric purchases

1888631_10153934356865643_1565225888_n

Watch this space!

2 Comments:

  1. Looks a great little dress….

Leave a Reply